LEMON PROTEIN CAKE
A cake, a little bit of a treat but slightly healthier. I used half the sugar you would normally put in a cake and it has 11 grams of protein per slice. That doesn’t mean you have to compensate in flavor of course. It is a very fresh, tasty and summery lemon cake. I’m a big fan!
100 grams of butter or margarine at room temperature
200 grams of sugar
300 grams of flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
zest of 2 lemons
100 grams of whey protein powder
250 ml oat milk
pinch of salt
4 eggs (only the whites)
Ingredients icing (optional):
200 grams of powdered sugar
juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together the butter and sugar until the sugar is well incorporated.
- Then add the oat milk and mix again. It looks like it won’t come together now but that will all be fine later, promised!
- Add the lemon zest, salt, flour, protein powder and baking powder and mix well.
- Finally in a separate bowl we will whisk the egg whites of the eggs, this must be done in a clean fat-free bowl. Beat until it is completely stiff, it looks a bit like merengue.
- Combine the mixture with the whipped egg whites but do this carefully. Fold it in instead of beating.
- Grease the cake pan with a little bit of a neutral oil or butter and put the batter into the pan.
- 45 minutes in the oven and your cake is ready.
- To make the optional icing, simply combine the 2 ingredients, stir well and pour over the cake when it has cooled completely.
I first tasted a piece of the cake without the icing and then a piece with and I have to say I think both super tasty. The icing immediately makes it a lot sweeter and what I really like about this cake is that you don’t feel like you’re taking a whole bite of sugar. (Which is sometimes tasty of course.) But for lovers of a not too sweet treat this recipe is yours!